Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Three C's (Casual, Comfortable...and Converse)

I had been avoiding going shopping for weeks but yesterday a 30% off coupon that I received in the mail from Kohl's was literally screaming out for me to put it to good use. Plus, I figured I could use the exercise.

I walked in the doors of my local Kohl's at about 11:00 am, grabbed a shopping cart and hit the ground running. (ok, so I didn't actually run, it was more like a slow even paced walk) My first stop was the intimates section where I found two bras in the clearance racks - score! Then I hit my favorite section - the dressier spring-y side of the women's clothing section. I really wanted to buy some nicer blouses as most of the ones I own are already getting tight in some places.(I know...already!)

I went in to the dressing room with nearly twenty items stuffed into my cart but after trying them on, my pile quickly dwindled down to two pairs of casual cargo-like pants and a v-neck casual cotton blend top. I was bummed and wondered....um, I'm only 9 weeks pregnant - what am I going to be wearing in four months, five months, and on and on. I just couldn't seem to find anything that fit me right.

Next, I tried the casual section, where 100% cotton seems to rule the racks. I myself have never been a huge fan of cotton, mostly because it seems to hug my body in all the wrong places, especially after a couple of washes. For good measure, I tried on a couple of things but all I could think was, yuck! So my last ditch effort was the maternity section. I knew I wouldn't buy anything - I just wanted to see what kind of selection they had. Let's just say they don't have a selection. Not one item caught my eye. So sad.

My last ditch effort was a trip to the shoe section. I was hoping that if I could find a really cute pair of flat sandals, I wouldn't feel so...blah. No such luck with the sandals but strangely enough, I found myself wandering the tennis shoes aisles where I stumbled upon a really cute pair of Converse tennis shoes. I tried them on and thought, Hmm...now these are promising. They are not usually my style, in fact I don't think I've ever owned a pair of Converse before but I thought, why not? They are definitely comfortable and they were on sale too so it was pretty much a done deal.

I ended up finding another cotton blend top that went with the cargo pants I had already snagged earlier on so I ended up with two decent casual outfits - thank goodness. And the best part was that all in all, I walked out of Kohl's with two 3-packs of Hanes T-shirts for Leo, two bras, two pairs of pants, two tops and a pair of tennis shoes for $100.00 - not bad if I do say so myself.

And I guess I figured out my style for this pregnancy:  casual and comfortable all the way, at least for now while I am still off work but I am definitely going to need to find some other stores for maternity clothes, probably in the next couple of weeks so if you know of any good ones that are relatively inexpensive, please share!

10 comments:

tiffany said...

old navy has a limited, but cute maternity section.

Missy said...

Thanks, Tif! xoxox

Anonymous said...

Love the shoes and strangely it was comforting to hear that someone else didn't really have much luck at Kohl's. I love their coupons and always go with the intent of getting great stuff but I have not had much luck! I tried their maternity section now that I am truly in need and was disappointed at how everything fit. I needed bigger sizes in everything, it all seemed to run very small.

I have also had good luck at Old Navy. They have some stuff in the stores out here but most you have to get online and you can only return via mail. Which was a bummer but I was able to get a few things that worked. Their stuff seems to run big on me.

When I was pregnant 9 years ago I dispised Motherhood, they were too pricey and very old fashioned but I was happy to see times have changed. I have actually found quite a bit there, especially great jeans. They run good sales so they don't end up being much more expensive than most places. I've gotten all my pants there so far.

Target had some cute stuff too, they don't have a huge selection out here but they have some fun pieces.

I am so happy for you - if only we lived closer and we could shop together :) I love me some shopping!!!

PS - love the shoes! They are not really my normal style either but they have been calling my name, I am going to have to go try some on!

Anonymous said...

I can't remember if it was you who asked on my blog, but just wanted to say that I had so much great luck at Goodwill. If you like dresses, which I personally lived in basically my entire pregnancy, then check out the dress section AND the maternity section...often they put the mat dresses in the regular dress section. Anyway, I had to have bought close to a dozen dresses there--ALL new, unworn, from Target. Usually $5 each, so I didn't feel too bad if I only wore them once or twice. I found that I loved the look of a dress with a cardi because it still felt pulled together but was comfy and worked well for my expanding belly.

Also, I know a lot of people aren't fans of spending the $$ but Motherhood really does have nice quality and a good selection. You'll pay a little more, but most of what I bought when I was early in my 2nd tri lasted through my entire pgcy. In fact, I don't think I outgrew anything and my belly got BIG!

It can be pretty frustrating but give yourself time and have some patience. I miss dressing my cute baby bump....let me tell ya, it is much more fun than dressing my post-baby pudgy bump!

heidi said...

that's so cute your transitioning to the other side of the clothing isle huh? surprisingly i've found myself attracted to a blouse or something at target after checking it out,holding it up i realize i'm in the maternity section i walk away quickly cause i'm not pregnant

Missy said...

Cherish: Thanks! Trust me, the shoes came at a surprise to me too! But they are so comfy! SO glad we're both on the same page with regards to Kohl's. I love their coupons too but man, they definitely need to improve their maternity section. I went to Ross today and found a couple of knits blouses that will probably get me through a couple of months. Then I might try destination maternity = based on some recommendations. SO excited for you too, girlie - so close! and I was thinking the same thing...wish we lived closer to each other too!

Missy said...

Subfertilefrugalista: that's so funny because I actually went to a Goodwill today. They didn't really have much in the way of dresses but I did find a cute knit top and an even cuter light tan denim looking casual jacket - for only $2.99! I checked out Motherhoods website - they had some cute little numbers! Thanks for the tips my dear!

Missy said...

Hi Sis - Oooh...i haven't tried Target yet. Thanks for the tip. I can totally see how that would happen. I've done that a few times myself! Ha Ha! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I find myself nodding and sometimes tearing up as I read it!
I just wanted to tell you that I had great luck at old navy and gap (only when I could find sale items).

I am so happy for you and can't wait to read about your journey!

Nicole (Gina's sis)

Missy said...

Hi Nicole!

Thanks so much for your comment and for reading! I am definitely enjoying every second of this pregnancy. Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Malissa