Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spring Forward


Spring is definitely here. As I sit here typing away at my kitchen table, I can hear the birds chirping outside. The house is picked up and Sunny and Quincy are sleeping peacefully on the couch. I've been thinking a lot lately about the life I've had so far. I know, I know - pretty heavy stuff for a lazy Sunday afternoon but I can't help it. 

It's difficult for me not to feel completely blessed - I've had a very full life. And I'm not just talking happy-happy, joy-joy moments. I've pretty much experienced every emotion a human being can have in their lifetime. I've experienced my share of bad break-ups but I've also been lucky enough to marry the man of my dreams. I know what it's like to go without but I also know what it's like to be able to get everything I've ever imagined and more.

I've experienced more than my share of death but even more joyous additions to my family and community. I've been through terrible heartbreaks but also moments when I thought my heart would burst with joy. I've stumbled through messes but always managed to learn from them and move on a better person. I've had moments where I've felt completely isolated and alone but many more moments where I've felt filled with the knowledge that I am loved and very much cared for.

I've cried the full-on, gutt-wrenching, body shaking ugly-face looking kind of cry but I've also had the privilege of feeling as though my life couldn't get any better, through a smile from ear-to-ear.

I've been disappointed more times than I can count but I've also had my confidence in others fully restored. I've second guessed my path on more than one occasion but eventually I have landed right where I was meant to be. That's life, I suppose. Life isn't always happy endings but it's not all bad either. It's important to appreciate and reflect on both sides of the coin because I think it's the key to really feeling the full effect of true happiness.

We have to remember that in a split second, anything can change. Bad things happen to everyone - not just to good people. Whether we want to accept it or not, both kinds of experiences are necessary in life, vital even. 

Life is ride - a great big road of lessons. How we handle them - how we cope and learn from them will determine the quality of life that we live. And luckily for us, we have each other to lean on when times are hard. To soften the blow and offer comfort and guidance into the next stage in our lives. I'll be 38 next month and I can honestly say that I have never felt happier in my life, armed with the countless lessons and experiences I've had - to guide and strengthen me.   

I feel completely whole and prepared for the next stage in my life. I'm ready for anything - good or bad - that comes my way and I thank God everyday for the life I've had. I will continue to pray for those of you who are struggling through the hard times - trying to find and make sense of the lessons that are difficult to see at first. I will pray that you will soon find peace and comfort. I know it's hard. It's still fresh in my mind but always remember - we are all in this together.

Thank you to all of you who have been there for me over the years and especially for the past two. It's been a crazy ride but I'm stronger every day because of my faith in God and also because of all of you. Your friendship and love means more to me than you will ever know.

Spring is definitely here. I looked up the word just now and one of the definitions for Spring is to move forward - how fitting!

Enjoy the Day! 
Missy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post - every single thing about it. It's the journey great, even in the bad times, it's still our journey and what makes us who we are - it's priceless!

Missy said...

Thanks, Luv! So, so true!

Julie said...

Lovely post Malissa! I needed this this morning. I get caught up in being angry about the way things are and want to fight about it. I know everyone has pain, most more than me, but it is easy to be blinded by it. thanks again.

Missy said...

Thanks, Julie! Trust me - you are not alone. It's easy to get "caught up." Far more easier than we think. We all have our moments when life feels like it's crashing down around us but more often than not, time helps us heal and the pieces somehow find their way back - at least that's what it feels like for me: A slow but rewarding progression.

Hugs!

ADSchill said...

I love a good uplifting blog post!

I am happy you are in such a good place Missy. It's truly wonderful to finally feel like you can be completely happy. I am eagerly awaiting that day!

Glad to have found you!

MissConception

your mom said...

missy you can say just what everyone needs to hear and say it in the greastest way. so proud of you and all that is ahead foe you all blessing and joy to you and leo and little bean mom

Missy said...

Miss Conception - I'm so glad I found you too! I hope you know that I am still here. To listen and offer support and encouragement. You my dear are a very special person - we all have our stories to share and you do with such style and grace. (and a whole lot of wit!) I am definitely praying for you! xoxo

Missy said...

Aww...thanks, Mom! I love you! xoxo