Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Our Village


Hello All!

It's been a busy couple of weeks - full of work, lamaze classes (finished the last class last night), doctor's appointments (we're seeing Dr. C once a week now), more work and baby prepping errands. I also had two more baby showers bringing our final shower count to five. I know this is not the norm but I'm definitely not complaining. Instead, we are both feeling really, really loved.

The first shower was hosted by Leo's coworkers - it was great to see some old faces and also to meet several new ones. For those of you who don't know this, I used to work where Leo is currently employed so it was strange to be back in the building again...strange but also really nice and familiar. (if that makes any sense at all) I was immediately overwhelmed by the number of people who took time out of their busy work day to come and support us through kind and encouraging words and thoughtful gifts.

The second shower was hosted last Saturday by my mom, sisters and nieces. I think it is safe to say that Jacob now has a closet full of clothes, nicely organized by size, at least a dozen blankets, some hand made and others store bought. One in paticular, I will cherish forever. It was given to me by my Mom and it was made with material that she had literally held on to for years - since my little brother Mario was born. She had purchased it for Mario's Winnie the Pooh themed nursery but when he got sick, the material was never used. Instead, she held on to it...until now.

Of course, as soon as I read the card that explained all of this, the tears came. First, I felt sad - for my Mom's pain at that time and for her loss, even now. Then I felt sad because the reality is, Jacob will never know who my brother was with his comedic personality and his great big heart. But then in a blink of an eye, my heart felt really full and I felt nothing but love. Love for my Mom - for choosing Jacob to receive this memory filled and heart felt gift and for my sisters and nieces for all of the carefully thought out details and the hard work that went into this shower.

I am officially 37 weeks pregnant and excited with anticipation of Jacob's arrival. This past Friday was my last day at work and I am definitely planning on taking advantage of this time to organize and prepare but also to relax and rest up for what promises to be a very different life for Leo and I. I'm ready - without a doubt in my mind. I'm not nervous or scared. I've had a long time to think, prepare, enlist help, ask questions and get answers. I know that parenting isn't black and white. It's doing what feels right and ensuring that everything you can do, you make a point to do.

In the last few months, Leo and I have come to realize that we have been blessed with an amazing circle of family and friends - a village of people who have been there for us, from day one and we will probably never be able to fully describe how thankful we are for each and every one of you for your love, support and thoughfulness. I guess that is what they mean by it taking a village to raise a child = our village is definitely made up of people who we love, cherish and respect - what more do we need?

2 comments:

ADSchill said...

I'm so glad you made it to this important milestone! And so many showers! That must feel wonderful!

BTW, Leo and Jacob are two of my favorite names! Go figure!

Missy said...

Thanks - and congrats to you and your hubby for the amazing news of expecting a boy and a girl - that is so great! Can't wait to see what is in store for you both - something tells me you are going to continue to have plenty to write about! Lol!

P.S. thanks - I'm pretty partial to both names too! :)