Monday, March 5, 2012

He's Sick and I'm a Mess

That's right my little boy is sick again with what appears to be yet another cold - poor baby.

I was at work this evening when Leo called me to find out where the fever medicine was when I immediately remembered that I had left it at the babysitter's the last time he was feverish so I quickly grabbed my purse and went straight to Target's pharmacy. Of course there were way too many options on the shelf so I went to the pharmacy counter next where several people were already waiting in line. I couldn't wait a minute longer so I began to repeatedly say, "excuse me" to the pharmacists until one of them finally looked up.

"Is there someone who can help me figure out what kind of fever reducer to buy?" The lady with a pair of purple rimmed spectacles seemed to look down her nose at me until I told her Jake's age and she immediately agreed to look at the many options I had been holding in my hands. She even offered to look up the proper dosage amount for his weight and thankfully nobody in line seemed to be upset - probably because they could read, "new mom" all over my frazzled forehead. after I purchased the medicine I raced home only to find a smiling baby - at least for awhile.

He's in bed now fast asleep but he's definitely feverish and he sounded pretty congested until I slathered on the Vick's vapor rub, just like my own Mom did when I was little. I keep checking his temperature and thankfully, it's just a low-grade fever but something tells me that I won't be getting much sleep tonight. All in all though, I think I handled my first "Jake's got a fever" phone call at work really well. Exhibit A: I didn't panic and Exhibit B: I didn't shed a tear because let's face it, we all know that I am generally fully capable of this kind of reaction or rather, over-reaction.

I just sprung into action - sure I may have ran through the Target parking lot and proceeded to continue running once inside the store but I did it in a orderly fashion - being careful not to run into anyone or anything for that matter. I also managed to keep my wits about me as well as my manners by saying "excuse me" instead of "hey you!" and most importantly I got home in one piece without incident (Thank you, God)

Enjoy your evening!
Missy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor thing! Hope he's feeling better soon. Sounds like you did better than I would in your shoes. Hang in there, mama. ;)

Missy said...

Hi Jessah - thank you so much! I am definitely hoping that it is just a 24-hour bug. And thank you for stopping by! :)

Anonymous said...

Poor guy! I hope it was just a fever and you caught it early enough. On a medicine note, I know options are good - as a society we have always demanded options - but when it comes to medicine, oh my goodness. It's so overwhelming to know which one to get and then how much to give. Ugh. So glad the pharmacist stopped to help (for her sake, lol!) Hope Jake is feeling better soon!!

Missy said...

Thanks love - it was definitely a long night but his fever seems to be normal now thank goodness - going to keep him today just in case. :)

Missy said...

For clarification I meant to say that I'm keeping him home - lol!