Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Words and Wearing Pink for Yolie

Yolie starts chemotherapy for the second time in just over a year this Thursday. {long, anxious sigh} 
 
She was given a week off to allow the burns from radiation treatments to heal. The plan is for her to receive two different types of chemo: the first will be administered via a three hour infusion every three weeks. The second will be four pills in the morning and four pills in the evening every day for two weeks.
 
Some of the side effects caused by chemotherapy include: headache, fatigue, hair loss, nausea, vomiting, hand-foot syndrome, sores in the mouth and throat, shaking or trembling, and a whole slue of other not-so-fun ailments. She will be on this regiment for a minimum of six months and at some point they will start to monitor the size of the tumors to see how they are responding to treatment.
 
To help her get through the next six months, she is going to need all of the love, support and encouragement she can get and although we have the best intentions to say all the right things, we sometimes miss the mark. {Myself included}
 
So, to ensure that she receives just what she needs, I did some research and thankfully, I found some great information. I feel so much more secure in my ability to really be there for her in every sense of the word and my hope is that you will feel the same way.  
  • Ask permission—before visiting, before giving advice, before asking questions. And make it clear that saying no is perfectly okay.
  • Make flexible plans that can be easily changed in case something comes up or she needs to cancel or reschedule.
  • Be careful not to come across as pushy or demanding.
  • Be humorous and fun, when appropriate and when needed.
  • Allow for sadness—do not ignore uncomfortable topics or feelings.
Practical Ways You Can Help:
  • Send regular text messages and Facebook posts.
  • Make a donation to her Fund Me page
  • Offer to make a home-cooked meal via Meal Train.
  • Gift her a magazine subscription.{Magazines are her favorite}
What to Say:

Avoid Saying:
  • I know just how you feel.
  • You need to talk.
  • I know just what you should do.
  • I feel helpless.
  • I don't know how you manage.
  • I’m sure you’ll be fine.
  • Don’t worry.
  • How much time do the doctors give you?
  • How long do you have?
  • Let me know what I can do. (Instead, offer specific ways you can help or other things you can provide if they need it.)
Do Say:
  • I'm sorry this has happened to you.
  • If you ever feel like talking, I am here to listen.
  • What are you thinking of doing, and how can I help?
  • I care about you.
  • I’m thinking about you.
  • I don’t know what to say. (It is better to be honest than to simply stop calling or visiting out of fear.)
To help brighten her first day of chemotherapy, we are planning another Wear Pink for Yolie event. Here's how it works: simply post a photo of yourself on Facebook and/or Instagram using the #pinkforyolie hashtag. It's so easy and has the potential to make an enormous impact.

I'm basically asking, pleading and begging everyone and anyone I know to not just participate but to also help me spread the word. Do you work for a large company? Get your co-workers involved. Do you have a favorite Starbucks that you frequent? Ask them to participate. Ask your Family, your Friends, your Neighbors, your Mom's Groups and your Gym Pals.

Nobody is off limits. Not even your Dog. Cat. Hamster.
{You get the picture}

Enjoy the Day!
Missy




No comments: