Thursday, October 18, 2012

He's One




Yesterday Jacob turned one. Somebody pinch me - I am the mother of a happy, healthy one-year old. And he's perfect, in every way.

He's not quite walking yet - crawling is his preferance. His favorite past time is to open and close doors, drawers and cabinets. He also likes to take all of the q-tips out of the box, then carefully, one-by-one, put them back. (Usually - sometimes, they are left sprawled all over our bedroom floor)

As far as the types of food he fancies, he loves most of what we have tried giving him. Probably the only things he refuses to eat are peas, but I really can't blame him - I am not a big fan either.

Overall, he is a typical baby - he only cries when he is overly tired or hungry. Otherwise, he is sure to have a grin from ear to ear, showing off his two itty-bitty teeth on bottom, which I just can't get enough of!

And he's definitely spunky, which is just a nice way to say that he is stubborn. It's kind of funny, actually. But not to worry, I have mastered the art form of keeping my expressions hidden from him, as to not confuse the situation.

When I am putting him to bed at night, he loves to hold on to his bottle - it's really very sweet. So, I guess at the moment his bottle is his lovee.

He also loves to babble on and on, which leads me to believe that like his mommy, he is going to be a talker. I have noticed lately that he enjoys matching the tone in my sentence. For example, if I am asking him a question, he will respond with the very same tone, as if he is asking me a question in return.

Now that he is officially one and we have had twelve months worth of memories with him, I just can't imagine our lives with him not in it. Before I got pregnant with him, I always felt as though something was missing. There was a void and I did everything I could to fill it. And I didn't feel whole.

But in my heart, I always knew that I was destined to be a Mom. And now that I am, that hole has been completely filled. In fact, it's brimming with an overwhelming feeling of love, pride and pure joy. When I think about the nine years I had to wait to have him, there is no doubt in mind that I would do it all over again.

If there was ever a song that describes my feelings for him, it would be this one...




2 comments:

ADSchill said...

This is such an uplifting post. It's so wonderful to see what a year can bring. He looks like a happy little boy. Congrats and happy birthday to Jacob!

Missy said...

Thanks so much my friend - it was definitely a long road but you too will soon find that it was well worth the wait!