Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Food for Thought: a Writing Exercise

I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Pink of Perfection and came across this writing exercise. Maybe it will inspire me to change up a few things or at least move in the right direction to some pretty amazing new experiences in my life. I encourage you to take time out of your busy day to come up with your very own answers. Above all else, have fun with it!

Write ten things you love:
  • Photos of my hubby, family and friends
  • The house that my husband and I share
  • My camera
  • Talking and sharing ideas/successes with other women
  • My cookbook collection
  • A white ceramic vase that belonged to my Grandmother
  • Anything Girly!
  • Dark chocolate covered caramels
  • My collection of cards from Leo over the years
  • A wood carved and hand-painted cat made by my Dad
Write five things you would do if you knew you wouldn’t fail:
  • Become a published author
  • Open an adorably quaint boutique that also offers workshops and cooking/cake decorating/scrapbooking classes
  • Start a non-profit benefiting women with PCOS - offering education, resources, guidance and support
  • Create a yearly event that brings awareness to PCOS
  • Create a party planning consulting company
Write five alternative lives you would like to live other than your own:
  • Mother of three
  • Author
  • Shop owner
  • Party planning & social media consultant
  • Non-profit company owner
Write four tiny things you can do in the life you have to bring you closer to those imagined lives
  • Write more
  • Hire an agent
  • Get my college degree and MBA
  • Lots of research
  • Become an expert in my field
  • Workshops

Now, imagine an older, wiser version of yourself who has some advice to share.

What do you need to know?

  • Will I be a Mom?
  • If not, will I finally be able to move forward?
  • What do I need to do to feel good about myself? (my whole self)
  • What do I need to do to get where I want to be?
  • How can I use my gifts/strengths to help others?
  • What steps are neccessary for me to obtain my dreams?
What do you need to embrace?
  • My spirit
  • The path I am currently on and the path I moving towards
  • The gifts I have been given
  • The experiences that make me who I am
  • My quirky-ness
  • My eye for beautiful things (that don't necessarily have to be expensive)
  • My inability to let the cards fall where they may
What do you need to do?
  • Be more consistent
  • Be confident
  • Be assertive
  • Stop being so hard on myself
  • Be o.k. with mistakes - they are sometimes inevitable and un-avoidable!
  • Let others help
  • Take better care of myself
  • Be comfortable with saying, "No" nicely of course - a BIGGEE for me!
What do you need to grieve?
  • The loss of two pregnancies
  • The loss of going through most of my adult life without my Dad
  • The loss of losing my little brother at age 19 - wishing I'd had more time with him
What do you need to celebrate?
  • My relationship with God
  • My marriage - can't imagine my life without him!
  • My relationship with my Mom, my sisters, my nieces and nephews and Leo's family - Oh how I love them so!
  • The fact that after 3 years, I still LOVE my job!
  • All of the many friendships that I have made over the years
  • All of the experiences I've had, good or bad - I'm a better person for it!

2 comments:

Melissa B. said...

We have 3 things in common - I have wanted to be a writer since I was like 5, I also would love to be a party planner & I would love to be involved in a non-profit. Who knew! ;oD

Missy said...

Wow - I had no idea! we should go to a writer's workshop together. I've always wanted to but nervous to go it alone. :)