Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Fighting for Yolie

Last Spring we received some pretty heartbreaking news: My younger sister who battled breast cancer two years ago found another tumor and was diagnosed with Stage 3 Triple Negative Metastatic Breast Cancer. A few weeks later she had a radical mastectomy and endured six months of chemotherapy.

At the end of her chemotherapy, she had surgery to have what was left of the tumor removed. The doctor was skeptical but thankfully, we received good news when she walked into the waiting room saying, "I got it all." She was finally cancer free. It was an emotional day for all of us but most of all, for her.

We celebrated with a small cake and some balloons but the celebration was short lived because within just a few weeks they found another tumor. It's difficult to put into words what goes through your mind when you're watching your loved one go through so much physical pain and emotional turmoil.

I try to focus on her eyes.
I smile a lot and hold her hand.
I make silly jokes and talk about the weather.

But sometimes my nervousness gets the best of me and I say really, really dumb things.Thankfully, she will usually wave it off and promptly change the subject.

As her older sister, I feel completely and utterly helpless. Sometimes I want to cry and other times I want to scream but the thought that always enters my mind in the midst of an emotional breakdown is what she must be going through. I can't even imagine.

In between the pain, I do see glimmers of joy in her face. Like when she is around her kids, when her favorite show is on or when I tell her my latest Mommy mishap. I love those moments. And she is a believer in God so I'm sure her faith is of great comfort to her. I know I would be absolutely lost without him.

Currently, she is getting ready to start six more months of chemo and then we are hoping radiation treatments will eliminate what is left of the tumor because surgery is not an option. We are also very lucky to have so much love and support from family and friends.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. Well, I think the same idea applies here too. We have an amazing village. One that rises to the occasion without a second thought. Thank you, all of you for your love, your encouraging words and for continuing to pray for Yolie and her family. We appreciate it more than I could ever fully express.

Enjoy the Day!
Missy

To help my sister with medical and living expenses, please click here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a gift with words, Malissa. I admire your spirt and your graceful approach to even the most difficult subjects. Praying for Yolie!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry I'll continue to pray for her!!! Xoxo

Missy said...

Thanks so much, Michelle. xoxo

Missy said...

Thank you so very much Anonymous Writer - It's great therapy!