Monday, March 23, 2015

One Step at a Time

How do you put a price tag on someone's life?

I've been thinking about this question a lot lately. Who am I kidding...I think about it every single minute of the day.

Before my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago, I didn't realize how often families were put in this unspeakable situation. According to The American Cancer Society, 20% of people with health insurance can't afford to have the cancer therapy they need to save their lives.

Can you imagine checking-in for treatment and being told that you have to pay $12,000.00 up front for the next series of chemo treatments?

I keep picturing my sister standing there with tears in her eyes. She manages to keep her composure but it wavers as soon as she gets out the words, "I don't have $12,000.00." Thankfully, they offered (this time) to put her on a payment plan but we worry what will happen next time and quite honestly, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's bad enough she has to endure these horrible treatments that literally suck the life out of her but to have to figure out how to pay for them, too. She has enough to worry about: She has two teenage children who are trying to cope the best they can while also trying to find their way in this great big world, a four year old daughter who is questioning God's existence because he hasn't answered her nightly prayers to heal her of cancer and on top of all that, she has rent, utilities, car payments and car insurance not to mention daily expenses like food and gas.

Her disability benefits have run out and yesterday she found out she doesn't qualify for SSI so it is only a matter of time before they lose their apartment. The place she and her family have called home for the past five years. Moving is stressful for most healthy people. She has to do it while also enduring chemo treatments.

It just doesn't seem fair. It seems mean and cruel. And as her older sister, I just want to take care of it. All of it but I can't. I can't do it all. but I can make a difference, no matter how small.

One step at a time.

Sleep is a distant memory because I have so many things to do, people to talk to, grants and loans to find and research and money to raise. Some how. Some way. I've raised money and awareness for many causes in my lifetime. Now it's time to put my experience to work for my Sister.

Someone I can't imagine my life without.

This is where you come in. If you have the financial resources to help, please do and know that your gift is truly making all the difference in the world. If you don't have the financial resources, please don't feel bad. My intent is never to make anyone feel guilty for not making a donation. I know times are tough. Instead, please consider helping me raise money by spreading the word. Simply share the link to this blog post or the direct link to her Fund Me account via your Facebook account. You can also lead a fundraising effort or support one of mine. {More info to come} You can sign-up to provide her and her family with a home-cooked meal via Meal Train, send uplifting cards or simply keep her and her family in your prayers.

As a family and as believers in Jesus Christ, it feels like we are being given the ultimate test...in every sense of the word. I am motivated to keep her on this earth for selfish reasons. Because I'm not ready to say goodbye and because I want my son, her godson to grow up with her strong and loving presence in his life. I want her to be there when he graduates middle school, high school and college and I want her to be there to witness him say the words, "I do" and for the birth of his babies.

But most of all, I am motivated to continue fighting because she has her own children to continue raising. Her youngest is five so she has many more boo-boo's to kiss and books to read, questions to answer and milestones to treasure. That is motivation enough and thankfully for all of you - my husband and my son, my immediate and extended family, friends and co-workers - you sustain me and keep me sane. Thank you for your love and friendship.

I am so very blessed and together, I am confident that we can make a difference. We may be small but we are mighty in our #fightforyolie

Xoxo,
Missy

No comments: