Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Big Idea

Thanks to a very good friend of mine, I have been thinking a great deal about something that I really haven't considered or tried yet. And it may sound a little crazy to some of you but I'd eat only grapefruit for a year, if that's what I need to do to get and carry a pregnancy to full term.

Are you ready? Ready for...the big idea?
I've decided to take a completely holistic approach to my infertility.


I've officially dived in head first by spending the last few hours researching various websites, articles and books. So far, I've found some really great resources. My first find was this really great article, called, "Keep the Doctor Away - A Holistic Approach to Fertility."

This particular statement really resonated with me:

"Holistic fertility offers an entirely different approach, one in which women actively participate making lifestyle changes and using traditional treatments which have been shown to help women become pregnant." "It combines working with traditional approaches from yoga, oriental medicine as well as nutrition and the focus is upon achieving balance within the whole body and mind, to prepare for conception."

The thing that strikes me the most about this statement is the "women actively participating" part because well, up to this point - I haven't really felt in control of this whole situation. I've definitely felt frustrated, angry and even helpless at times but never in control. I've had several doctors over the last decade - many who didn't seem to have a clue about PCOS or infertility. And every step we've taken so far has been out of my need to find answers. Not because a doctor has steered us in the right direction. 

That's probably, for many, the root of the problem. It's easy to sit back and let the doctor's figure it out. But also, isn't that what we are taught? - to follow the doctor's orders? We are really never given the chance to try "alternative methods." And the stress - the stress that is caused by infertility and the treatments associated with them, the miscarriages and the painful side affects to PCOS - the stress has to be a factor, when looking at the big picture. It's easy for a doctor to say "Take it easy" or "Try to avoid stress" but they never give you real tangible answers - like trying yoga and acupuncture, which are both part of the holistic approach.

Please don't misunderstand - I am not saying that doctors are unnecessary. They are. And they will always be necessary. But maybe, just maybe there are instances when alternatives methods should be at least considered. (when it is safe to do so) And I guess, in this stage of the game, what do I or Leo have to lose?

I'm excited. Literally chomping at the bit to learn everything there is to know and ready to put the holistic approach to the test. Thank god, for hope.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Go for it!! Like you said, what have you got to lose? And you might feel better anyway doing yoga and acupuncture. I think I need those things too! :)

Missy said...

Thanks, Julie - I am so excited! I plan to hit the bookstore tomorrow. :)

wsamrazik said...

Just don't go overboard with buying everything in the store Malissa...take it (finally?) from somebody, who has been using lots of so called, "not main stream" approaches to life...Just be clever, for there are many wackos out there that can sell you really crazy stuff (that will look like a legit thing). Remember to take everything with a grain of salt (or use your natural critical thinking) - if something seems too much, it probably is, unless you will find the good support for it...Somehow your statement made me happy, and worried at the same time...But you will figure out why I am saying this, as soon as you start reading those "enlightened" books...
By the way, did I hear yoga? Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm, this is one of the few things I can recommend without reservations, not only for your ultimate goal, but mainly for a different life experience. If you practice it regularly you will SEE differences in your life....so try it, please (oh, forgot to mention that you might try different places at first - yoga instructors have as many approaches to it as there are people, and like in marriage, not everybody is a suitable partner for it!)...
Good luck Malissa, and let me know if I could be of any help (although I doubt you will be open to hear my takes on life, even from this angle ;=))....

wsamrazik said...

Another thought - HOLISTIC means exactly that - using the whole picture, not just the doctors (who are obviously very, very important, but usually present just ONE approach and point of view). There are so many other elements to life than simply pills, shots, etc....And more and more (and very slowly), it has been making a way into helping professions, like psychology, social work, nursing, and even medicine (e.g.,Dr. Weil, and others not so famous)...Well, I've been always into holistic approaches (if you remember), but it has been a somewhat lonely road for me...Only lately I have seen changes, even in a general population of my friends...OK, enough rumbling...Good luck with your search...

Missy said...

Thanks, Jolanta - that is a "mouth full" but I do appreciate your insight to all of this. Don't worry - I have Leo to make sure I don't go overboard.

I guess my main reason for being excited is because I have something to focus on, research (research has always been comforting to me - I know...crazy) and hopefully I will benefit from whatever I choose to do with the information I find.

Thanks again for your insight!

Melissa K Bauer said...

My friend Akane was having difficulty getting pregnant. She took the eastern approach (she's Japanese) because she didn't like the western medicine view. She went to see a Chinese Herbalist. It worked for her. You have to do whatever you feel works best for you.

Missy said...

Hi Melissa!

Really? Yeah - a friend of mine shared a story of about her friend who tried some of the holistic practices and it worked for her. I am now in communication with the friend and it's great. She has really offered some great insight. I am willing to try anything at this point. Well, almost anything.

Thanks, Melissa!