Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Place To Be Remembered


I had to share this. This morning while checking my dashboard, I came across a post from one of my blogger friends: Miss C. The title is "The Angel List" and in it she explains that a tree will be planted by the Arbor Day Foundation in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest and below that she lists the names of babies either born preterm, still or by miscarriage. All in all, there will be 40 trees planted in honor of her own twins, Michael and Alena who they lost this past October.

As I scrolled down, I read the names of our two babies:

Baby Sara Elizabeth – June 26, 2006 & Baby Olivia Michelle – December 31, 2006

For a few seconds I couldn't catch my breath.

Tears started to fall down my face as I tried to wrap my head around what had just been given to us and to our babies - a physical place where they can be remembered forever - what an amazing gift. It is astounding to me that through her own pain, she has taken it upon herself to help others find peace by finding a place to memorialize their babies lost too soon. And even more amazing about all of this is that Miss C and I have never met face to face. We've never shared a cup of coffee or split a lunch bill. We've never talked on the phone or texted back and forth. We've only emailed and shared comments on each others blogs.

She lives in Washington and I in California so we will probably never get the chance to meet but we will always have a special bond and to all of the other bloggers out there who share our story. We are kindred spirits bound by a painful and life-changing circumstance. 

"These are my footprints,
so perfect and so small.
These tiny footprints
never touched the ground at all.
Not one tiny footprint,
for now I have wings.
These tiny footprints were meant
for other things.
You will hear my tiny footprints,
in the patter of the rain.
Gentle drops like angel's tears,
of joy and not from pain.
You will see my tiny footprints,
in each butterflies' lazy dance.
I'll let you know I'm with you,
if you just give me the chance.
You will see my tiny footprints,
in the rustle of the leaves.
I will whisper names into the wind,
and call each one that grieves.
Most of all, these tiny footprints,
are found on Mommy and Daddy's hearts.
'Cause even though I'm gone now,
we'll never truly part."


Thank you Miss C for giving our girls a tangible place to always be remembered - I feel so incredibly blessed by your friendship and love. 

Enjoy the day!
Missy

4 comments:

ADSchill said...

Thank you as well for continuing support even through the birth of your son. It's an amazing thing to have women to connect to who have been in those dark places.
My goal is to visit the Shasta Trinity forest someday soon and spend time surrounded by our babies' spirits. Maybe we can meet there.
Alissa

Missy said...

I was just thinking the same very thing! And I'd love to! :)

Anonymous said...

Both of you girls are amazing and so inspiring to me!! Love the poem too

Missy said...

Thanks my dear!