Friday, September 24, 2010

Pray


I gravitate to easy going conversations and avoid confrontational or controversial conversations, especially political ones.

Mainly because in my experience, these types of conversations usually end up in heated debates. Both parties angry and frustrated. No obvious winner. No resolution. Just two very separate opinions. It's no wonder. No big mystery. That's because our opinions are shaped largely by our culture and belief system, our personal experiences and observations. I sometimes wonder why we never stop to consider this before entering a conversation with someone who has a completely different opinion.

I learned this lesson years ago when I attempted to participate in a conversation that was a sore subject for me and it ended with me making a complete fool of myself. (It was not a pretty sight) I felt so unbelievably frustrated. Frustrated that the other person wasn't willing to be open enough to see my side. My pain. My experience. It was a very valuable lesson. At least for me.

In a more recent experience, I went to a student debate on campus, where I work. It was a heated debate on rights for illegal immigrants. I made a sincere effort to listen to both sides. To stay open to each point made and every fact recited. Many were good. Insightful and hard to dismiss. But at the end of the day, my opinion on the matter didn't change. It remained once again, still a direct result of own life experiences and observations.

We all have strong opinions and I am no exception. But for the most part, I prefer to keep them to myself. If someone asks me, I have no issue with answering their questions but I don't welcome or choose to participate in heated debates. It's just not my thing. I'd rather we just agreed to disagree and move on to other subjects. I know that this may make me seem wishy-washy or even unamerican because I don't proclaim anything with vigor and passion. But in the grand scheme of things, I believe that all of the really big issues that we spend hours, days, months and even lifetimes arguing over will probably always exist.

However, I also believe that I can stand for something important without having to debate it. Lead by example and resist the temptation to judge others. Picket at the corner in support of someone I love. Speak out and speak up in places of importance to share a story and spread awareness. Walk in memory of someone and help others find peace of mind. Offer my assistance and use my own personal experiences as my compass through life. And most importantly, I can get down on my knees and pray. That's really the one thing we can do sometimes. It's difficult to let go, I know. Hard to keep faith but prayer sometimes, is the only way.

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments: