Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Be Self-ish





Fall.
Sweet. Rustic. Warmth. Comfort.

Despite the record heat, I was determined to spend last Sunday in my kitchen baking pumpkin bread and pumpkin bars. (I know, I'm crazy) The recipe for pumpkin bread was given to me years ago from a co-worker and the pumpkin bar recipe, I found online. (allrecipes.com) It was a self-ish afternoon and it was unmistakably nice. Just me in the kitchen; chopping, cutting, mixing and of course, thinking. The blinds in my kitchen window were open to let some natural light in, the stereo playing old Dean Martin songs and Sunny and Quincy sprawled out on the cool kitchen floor.

There is something about baking that calms my spirit. I enjoy the process. Following instructions to a "t." Watching the batter rise and the edges brown perfectly and evenly. And the best part? The scent. The scent that permeated our house on Sunday was no match for any store bought air freshener or expensive scented candle. It was spicy. sweet. And it made the whole house feel warm and cozy. (Gotta love pumpkin spice!) Even on a hot fall day, which is no small feat. Outside it may have been in the hundreds but inside our home, it felt and smelled like it was cool, crisp fall day.

At the end of my mini baking/therapy session, I felt calm and relaxed. Great. Like that was exactly what I needed - to center myself. Life is crazy most often, for all of us. It's important to take a "time out" - even if it's just for thirty minutes. When the kids are at school or in bed. When your husband is at work or watching a football game on a Sunday afternoon. (like mine) We work hard. We love hard. (I know, sounds strange, but when you think about it, SO true) We give. We support and encourage. We volunteer and often, we forget about our own needs. We put ourselves at the bottom of our everlasting list of things to do.

We need to listen. And learn this lesson. Be self-ish.
To give fully, we must also be open to receive.

"Your inner world is a reflection of your outer world"
author unknown

2 comments:

Julie said...

That food looks yummy! I like to bake too, not especially peaceful with three little boys, but fun. Glad you got a little baking therapy. :)

Missy said...

Thanks, Julie - everything turned out great! And it was good therapy too! Sort of a two for 1 deal!