Sunday, September 19, 2010

Joy Found Here

Joy found here.
In Murfresboro, Arkansas.
Population: 1,700.

My Mom, my Uncle Roy and I spent a week in Murfresboro, Arkansas this summer visiting my Grandma, Marie Farmer, my Aunt Gladys and her husband, Morris. We arrived in Arkansas on my Grandma's 85th birthday so we stopped at a store to pick up a small cake and ice cream: chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and rocky road ice cream - Grandma's favorite. Unfortunately, we didn't consider how much further down the highway my Aunt lived so Mom had to hold the ice cream in front the air conditioning vent the whole way there. Let's just say the ice cream barely made it.

When we finally arrived to our destination and Aunt Gladys led us into the kitchen where Grandma was sitting at the table, I saw her face light up. She was so happy to see us. I relished in that moment of pure happiness. It was easy to see that she was joyful because she is after all, first and foremost, a Mom and she had three out of her four kids there with her, to celebrate her birthday. We all hovered around her and sang "happy birthday" as she smiled brightly in her chair, her hands crossed in her lap. This was definitely a moment I will never ever forget. Then we ate lots of cake and ice cream and Grandma announced over and over "this was the best cake I've ever tasted."

The rest of the week was nice. easy. calm. In Murfresboro, there isn't much to do but I welcomed the peace and quiet for that short week. We spent lots of time at the kitchen table playing cards. Out of all the games we played, and we played many, I won one game. Grandma won the most games by far, even at the age of 85, she is quite the card player.

It was while we played cards that I got to really know my Grandma. Like for instance, she is quite spunky. And funny too. I had never seen this side of her but I'm so glad I did. She talked a great deal about her childhood. Her mom's cooking and her siblings. For the first time in my life, I saw her really enjoy food. (Growing up, she always ate like a bird. A few bites and she was done)

Mid-week we all drove into Arkadelphia to a Super WalMart. It was about a 45-minute drive one way. On the way there, we drove through several towns, some with less than a population of 500. Hard to imagine. You literally blink and your half way into the next town. The tree lined highway was a beautiful sight to see. Peaceful and serene. The main reason for our trip was to check out the puzzles. I know, sounds strange but I come from long line of women who love to put puzzles together. I just couldn't resist so I bought two.

On most nights, when it was time to leave Aunt Gladys house, Uncle Roy, Mom and I would go to dinner. There are only four restaurants in town so it wasn't too difficult to make a decision. It was nice spending time with my Uncle Roy because well, I can't ever remember spending this much time with him before this trip. After dinner, we'd head back to the motel. We'd say goodnight to Uncle Roy and then Mom and I would get into our pajamas and watch television for a few hours before going to bed.

We tried to pack in lots of activity for Grandma throughout the week. We pampered her by taking her to get a pedicure and manicure. She fell asleep mid-way through but when she was all done, I'd catch her checking out her pretty toe nails and perfectly manicured fingernails. On Friday, after dropping Uncle Roy off at the airport we stopped at a shopping center and bought her a few things, like a tube of lipstick and a compact. When we arrived with all of our loot, she was so excited. She immediately reached for the lipstick and compact and proceeded to apply it perfectly - even at the sprightly age of 85.

On our last night, Mom and I took her to dinner at the local mexican restaurant. She had her favorite, a taco salad. We talked and laughed and tried to hold on to every moment. This was going to be the hard part. We all knew, but didn't say a word about it. She insisted on walking in and out of the restaurant without her walker. She also insisted on paying for the bill. What else can I say about my Grandma? She is nothing less than amazing. She is strong and witty. Caring and funny.

Later that night, when it was time to say our goodbye's, it was very difficult for Mom and I to leave but she was the one who kept reassuring us. Through her tears, she told us over and over "It's okay. I'm going to be okay." When I thought about it later that night I wondered how hard it must of been for her to put her own feelings aside to reassure us. We were the ones who were leaving her. Not the other way around.

Despite her aches and pains, her loneliness and ailments, my Grandma still manages to be spunky, funny and joyful. At the age of 85, she is full of life and teaching me lessons without even knowing it. It was a great trip. A memorable trip filled with pure joy.

No comments: