Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ready for Fall

I Heart Fall.
The brightly colored pumpkins and black cat figurines.
The smell of spiced pumpkin candles and fall wreaths hanging on the front door.
Hot spiced apple cider and the process of baking homemade pies.
The whole season just seems wrapped in warmth, comfort and fragrance.

To get ready for the fall season, I researched a few ideas for fall centerpieces a few nights ago and I happened upon a great blog called A Country Girl in the City. If you love finding old pieces of furniture and making them your own, your going to love her blog! In one particular post, pumpkin light, she gives instructions on how to turn regular old pumpkins into glowing candle holders - too cute!

I also found this great pumpkin pie bars recipe in another great blog called, Joy the Baker. (the actual blogger's name is Joy - adorable!) I think I'll try it out this Sunday. If I'm lucky, the weather will be much like today's - the perfect time to bake! Have you ever made a cheese ball? I tried a new recipe from AllRecipes.com this morning for a gathering at niece's house this evening. Cheese ball's are great because you only need a handful of ingredients and cooking and baking is never required. This particular recipe had only four ingredients - that definitely qualifies it as a keeper! (I'll let you know how it tastes in tomorrow's post!)

Looking to entertain the kiddies on a Saturday afternoon? Check out these adorably fun and easy to print coloring pages from Kaboose! I was also in the market for a brand new fall wreath. I have found several in the stores but they averaged in price from $60-$100. Yikes! I'm in luck though, because the blog, The Comforts of Home posted this how-to create your own fall wreath for about $18 using a few items from Michaels. Yippee!

Something about this season also gets me in the mood for savory appetizers, like stuffed mushroom caps and right out of the oven quiche. I found this recipe, Easy Mini Quiche that only has seven ingredients. And Renaissance Stuffed Mushroom Caps. Both are from AllRecipes.com.

Are you ready for fall? I'd love to hear all about your ideas, crafts and recipes!

4 comments:

Melissa K Bauer said...

I have the perfect way to kick off fall - I'm going apple picking in NY. :o] It's my favorite season!

Missy said...

Sounds like so much fun! :) Looking forward to the (inevitable and much anticipated) photos!

wsamrazik said...

I am going to make Chanterelle mushrooms tart - very fallish, and my yams, red lentil, and spinach soup...I already mixed the ingredients for the Christmas Liquor (with lots of dry fruits, sliced oranges, cloves, ginger, star anise, and alcohol [rum, vodka, and raspberry liquor)....smells good...
as for crafts I am planning to make window sill herb garden (so I can have my own herbs during the winter ;=)), and ginger cookies in the shape of cat - for LuluĊ›'s B-day.... That's all for now.

Missy said...

Mmmm...the mushroom tart sounds yummy! Christmas Liquor!? That sounds even yummy-er! (please send recipe!) I think that is really cute that you are doing ginger cookies for Lulu's birthday - please post photos. I'd love to see how they turn out.