Friday, December 17, 2010

100 Joys: Catching Up To Joy

I have to be honest. I was getting worried that I wouldn't be able to find and document 100 Joys by December 31st. Mainly, because I've missed several days. So I decided to make a simple list in hopes to catch up a little. I must say, this project (100 Joys by Sarah Markley) has really opened my eyes to things I probably wouldn't have noticed. Things that make me smile and sometimes chuckle. Things that make me feel grateful and blessed all at the same time. 

#15: Joy-ful Music 
I love, love, love musicals and I've had the pleasure of seeing a handful over the years with Leo. And every time, I always walk out of the theater with a great big smile on my face. Confession: Before going to see a musical, I will buy the soundtrack and play it in the car over and over until I've learned all of the songs. I know, I'm a nerd.       

#16: Joy-ful Homecoming
My older brother and his wife returned home two weeks ago after serving almost a year in Iraq - safe and sound. I got to talk to him over the phone and he was naturally so happy to be home with the boys and just in time for Christmas. During our conversation, I kept thinking, "Thank you God, for bringing them home safely." And I found myself smiling from ear to ear.
 
#17 through 21: Joy-ful Tasks
 This time of year I get to do lots of the things that I enjoy doing. Like baking all day while listening to Christmas songs, sending "love notes" to our family and friends, shopping for the "perfect" gift for loved ones on my list, drinking hot cocoa and watching nostalgic Christmas movies.

#22: Joy-ful Parties
Tis' the season to mix, mingle and celebrate. I've had the pleasure to "break bread" with several groups this past week and a half. From Colleagues, Co-workers and good friends - I've had a blast chatting, sipping, laughing and capturing each moment along the way.

#23: Joy-ful Expression: 
I stopped at the grocery store for a couple things a few days ago and all of the lanes were open but long lines formed at every turn so I picked one and stood in line, tired and impatient.  There was a young Mother and her daughter sitting in the grocery cart, facing me. She had the most beautiful blue eyes and she just kept looking up at me with this great big grin on her face. Immediately, I felt better. happier. The impatience seemed to just melt away. She was so adorable. And obviously filled with simple and pure joy.

#24: Joy-ful Sound
I love the sound of my cats, Sunny and Quincy purring. If you haven't heard a cat purr, you must visit a friend who has cats to hear it four yourself. It's a naturally soothing and comforting sound. 

#25: Joy-ful Exit
Every Christmas season I proudly hang every card we receive on the door in my kitchen that leads to the garage. It's the perfect spot because when I'm cooking I can glance over and admire all of them. Cards with glitter and cards that carry a musical tune. Cards that are uniquely shaped and my favorite - cards made from family photos, complete with critters in adorable holiday get-ups.  

No comments: