Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Today

Photo by CaptPiper

Today, I received some bad news about a friend's husband's failing health and it really got me thinking. I kept thinking about everything she must be going through. Oh, how I wish I could make all of this go away for her. I can't even fathom. It definitely puts things into perspective and it makes my situation seem tiny in comparison. The pain and grief I've been dealing with is very different but in so many ways, I know it could never, ever compare.

I've got to stop letting this situation overwhelm me and start focusing on the here, the now and most especially, the future. Stop focusing on what I can't control and instead, focus on the things I can control. And most importantly, appreciate what I do have, instead of what I don't have. Because when I do focus on the good things...no matter how big or small...I feel overwhelmingly grateful.

Grateful to be alive, grateful to be in love and to be loved 
Grateful for moments of clarity like this one
And grateful to all of you - for your love, friendship and support 

Grateful for warm clothing, shoes to cover my feet and for my little leopard umbrella for keeping me dry these past couple of rainy days. I'm grateful for the unlimited opportunities to spend time with my loved ones - keeping in mind that I am the only one who can turn each opportunity into a reality.

Grateful for quiet stolen moments spent listening to the pitter-patter of rain drops on our bedroom window and grateful for the cup of hot cocoa enjoyed standing inside the Carnation Cafe in Disneyland at the end of our rainy day adventure on Monday. (And what an adventure it was!)

Grateful for new experiences, for self-discovery and for the people in my life who remind me to think and dream BIG. Grateful for everything I have, everything I'm able to give and everything I'm able to do whether its running upstairs, skipping across the shopping center parking lot, singing in the car or dancing in the privacy of my bedroom.

It's hard to believe that only just a few days ago I felt crippled by my frustration and grief but today is a new day. I wish the circumstances were different. I wish I could wave a magic wand so that everything could go back to normal for my friend and her family. I guess this is just a reminder of just how fragile our lives really are. Life is a gift that's never promised. For me. For today - I'm unbelievably grateful.

For my friend and her family, I'm hoping and praying for a Christmas miracle!     

6 comments:

Julie said...

I'm praying too Malissa. For a miracle. Life is so short.

Anonymous said...

Baby steps girl...baby steps! You will get there! For me it started just by focusing on being grateful in the moment, then in the hour and soon the days were a breeze. Of course every day is not that easy but focusing on the positive and keeping yourself and your mind in a positive light really helps life and you will be amazed at just how much it can affect those around you too! Praise the Lord it's contageous!!!! :) Wishing you a Merry Christmas, hope you have a great holiday with your family and praying for your friends Husband!

Missy said...

Thanks, Julie! and I am still praying for little Andrew and for you too! xoxox

Missy said...

You are SO right about the baby steps. I've been able to really bring what is most important to the surface over the last two days. What a difference it makes, to have some real perspective. Thank you for your continued encouragement and support.

Anonymous said...

sometimes baby steps are exactly what you need to keep going. :)

Missy said...

So true! - thank you so much! I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!