Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 4: 100 Joys

It's hard to believe Christmas is next weekend. The stocking are hung on our fireplace, the tree is lit with all it's glory and yes, the presents are already under the tree. (come on, are you really that surprised?) Work is winding down, which is nice this time of year. Sort of a short but very sweet reprieve. This past weekend, I experienced more joy, much of which was unexpected.

#10: Joy-ful Surprises
Like a last-minute invitation to dinner at Claim Jumper and a Duck's game with Leo's sisters. Well, technically it wasn't last minute - I just completely forgot the initial conversation. (I most certainly blame old age) At dinner, we talked, sipped on fruity cocktails and got lost in our cheesy potato soup. Yum! Then it was off to the game - the Ducks played the Minnesota Wild and they won 6-2. It was definitely a unexpected source of joy.  

#11: Hand Stitched Joy
I also received an unexpected package from my Grandma - an early Christmas gift. She hand stitched a beautiful flower design in pinks and soft blues on to a set of white pillowcases. So beautiful and thoughtful. These types of gifts seem to falling by the wayside, don't you think? I guess the biggest reason is lack of time but what a great way to show someone how much you love them by spending the time and doing the work to create something priceless. And my Grandma is 85! I will definitely cherish this gift forever.

#12: Joy-ful Pieces 
I love puzzles. I love that when I'm putting them together, piece by piece, I can think of nothing else. I forget about the work that needs to be done, the chores that need to be tended to and the list of errands that need to be run. I'm sure I've mentioned this before - I come from a long line of women who love puzzles and it all began with my Grandma. When I visited my Aunt and Grandma over the Summer, my Aunt gave me this particular puzzle. I hope to have it finished by Christmas and then have it framed so that I can display it proudly next Christmas...and every Christmas after. Another great gift and a great source of pure joy.

#13: Joy-ful Love Stories
This past Friday night, while Leo was out shopping for the boys (his nephews) I sat on the living floor and tackled the task of wrapping gifts while watching some of my favorite movies. Movies that make me smile, laugh and cry all at the same time. I am usually drawn to love stories, surprise surprise. They are a great reminder of what it felt like to be a part of  a newly "in love" couple. The butterflies in the pit of my stomach. The giddiness. And all of the many firsts; the first kiss, first date and the very first, "I Love You."

Photo by Vanessa
#14: Joy-ful Hugs
Who doesn't love a great big hug? I certainly do. They have this way of warming you from head to toe. And I'm not talking about the half body hug or the awkward one arm hug. I'm talking the full body, arms all the way around hug. There's just nothing better. Per Wikipedia, "Unlike some other forms of physical intimacy, it is practiced publicly and privately without stigma in many countries, religions and cultures, within families, and also across age and gender lines." What an easy way to spread love and joy!

This post is part of 100 Joys by Sarah Markley, author of The Best Days of My Life. I encourage you to visit her site and find out how to be a part of 100 Joys. (Be sure to grab the 100 Joys button from Sarah's sidebar for your own site)

2 comments:

Julie said...

That hand-stitched present is so sweet. You are right, we have lost that. Children do it for their parents, but gifts of love like quilts and cross-stitch are oh so rare. how lucky for you :). I love the same kind of movies. Glad you are having fun getting ready for Christmas.

Missy said...

I know, sad isn't it? My Grandma grew up in a rural part of Canada so she said that crafts, cooking, baking and sewing were a huge part of her childhood. Oh and playing cards. Lol! I hope Andrew is feeling better and that all of you are going to be able to really enjoy the holidays. xoxox