Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Heart Valentine's Day

I love, love, LOVE Valentine's Day! And I personally don't believe it's a holiday solely for couples. Rather, I consider it to be a special day set aside for us to remind all of our loved ones just how much we love and appreciate them. That includes family members, friends, co-workers and even your favorite barista!

Everything about Valentine's Day is so inviting - the colors for instance. Red. Pink. Hot Pink - Who could resist? And the candy! Brightly colored foil wrapped hershey kisses. Conversation hearts and heart shaped boxes wrapped in red velvet filled to the brim with assorted truffles and such. Cutesy stuffed animals with cheesey sayings, like "Be mine," "I'm yours," and my all time favorite,"Hug Me." Although these particular phrases are probably not appropriate for everyone on your list, they are sure to win over your closest friends and/or your main squeeze (a.k.a. boyfriend or husband)

This year, I'm going to take the time to make handmade cards. No store brand cards for my loved ones! It's time to get creative. Pour on the attention to detail and let my spirit be my guide. Incorporate actual photos and delicate red and white ribbon. (I haven't used ribbon in years!) Maybe use some good old fashioned doilies. Hmmm...where does one find doilies these days? To sweeten the deal, I could find one of my favorite recipes and include it with the card. To share with those who share my love of baking. The possibilities are endless! But isn't that the idea? To make the time and the effort, to show our loved ones just how much we care? No fancy dinners needed. No blingy ring required. (Although I certainly wouldn't give it back) :)

This project is my goal for the next few weeks. I'm not even going to add it to my "to do" list as scary as that may sound. Maybe because my current "to do" list seems to be lingering longer than normal. Who knows? Maybe I'll get it all done in one day? A girl can dream. I may even post a few of my creations for you to see. What can you do for your loved ones this Valentine's Day? Here are some other ideas that may tickle your fancy:

For your Boyfriend or Husband:

Make him a special dinner complete with candlelight
Make a CD using the love songs you both enjoy
Schedule a couple's massage
Take him on a surprise overnight trip to Cambria (LOVE Cambria - so romantic!)
Create a scrapbook of your lives together thus far; photos, tickets stubs, cards, etc.

For your Friends:

Make a Friendship mini album using pictures, friendship quotes, etc.
Make a Shadow Box using a few photos & friendship quotes
Organize a friendship brunch for your closest friends
Purchase blingy cocktail rings from your local thrift store - beautiful & inexpensive! Wrap them in white organza and tie with pretty pink satin ribbon

For your Family:

Find the perfect photo of you & your family member & frame it in a bold red frame
Bake individual loafs of banana nut bread, wrap in saran wrap first to keep fresh and then in pink tissue paper and top it off with black & white ribbon
Make chocolate covered apples in pink tinted white chocolate and drizzle with candy hearts

Have Fun!

No comments: