Monday, January 11, 2010

A White Christmas

This past December my family and I spent Christmas in Utah. What an adventure. Long drive but so well worth it. If you've never experienced Christmas with snow, I highly recommend it. It's as if Christmas is really...well Christmas. I know, Jesus wasn't born in a flurry of snow but it does present a very idyllic setting for a holiday filled to the brim with family, warmth and fond memories. We ate alot. talked. laughed. Very creatively made a snowman (it's not as easy as it looks), decorated stockings, reminisced and took lots of pictures.

On Christmas morning we woke up at 6am to open gifts. Us girls had matching pajamas to wear on Christmas morning - an old tradition of Mom's. There were 14 of us all in one average sized family room so it was quite the sight to see. One of the gifts Mom gave me was a heart locket that says "Remember" on the outside and on the inside there is a photo of me and a photo of my little brother Mario. Words fail me when attempting to describe how much this seemingly small gift touched me. Over the years she's always been able to find a way to ensure that he is constantly remembered and a part of every family event. It is definitely a gift I will cherish until the day when I join him in heaven.

There were tons of other gifts to open - gift wrap literally flying in every direction. We had a great time. A very good time. It was good to see Mom happy. Happy to have most of her kids there with her for Christmas. It's hard to believe it had been over 15 years since we had spent a Christmas together. The years have literally flown by but I am so glad that this year we made it a priority and not just for Mom because I can only imagine how much it meant to her. But also for eachother. It is definitely a Christmas we won't ever forget.

No comments: