Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Happiest Place on Earth

Friends 4-Ever!

I met Debi in the second grade.  We hit it off almost immediately. I spent many days and nights at her house listening to music, laughing and talking about boys. We tried out for drill team together. And ended up as captains of the team by our senior year. We joined clubs. We went on double dates and celebrated her sweet sixteen with a limo ride to a fancy restaurant. We very rarely argued. And we were always there for each other. But eventually, after High School, we drifted off a bit.

All due to our paths in life. She was busy being an amazing Mom and I was working. We sometimes went years without seeing each other. But we wrote once in awhile and talked on the phone a few times. And I missed her. I missed her smile. Her thoughtful words and her friendship. I missed her funny disposition and her quirkiness. 

I met Marianne my sophomore year in High School. We met through Debi and also through participating in theater performances. I've never met anyone like her. She's witty and smart. And without any hesitation, she made it possible for my little brother and I to appear as an extra in the television show, the Wonder Years. It was a dream come true for him. Something I will always be grateful to her for.

Last year the three of us concocted a grand idea to go to Disneyland in October for Debi's birthday. No spouses or kids. Just us. And despite the crazy crowds and long lines, we had a blast. Our mutual friend and fellow co-captain of the drill team, Darlene joined us for a while over dinner and we immediately became aware of the fact that we were all talking very fast - probably because our time together was flying by. We laughed a lot that night. We took lots of photos and even ended up getting on a decent amount of rides.

That year I bought Debi a mickey mouse charm bracelet for her birthday and then I ended up buying one for myself. This year we bought one for Marianne and we each added another charm - the castle. And decided to make it a tradition to purchase a new charm every year. (Now we just need one for Darlene!) 

Thank goodness for days like these.  Stolen moments.  Spent laughing and reminiscing.  I am so glad that our paths crossed again.  And I hope we will continue to make this a yearly tradition at the happiest place on earth.  I can already picture us in our fifties, or sixties, arm in arm with our blinged out charm bracelets. Smiling from ear to ear.  And not a care in the world.  Now that's a funny image. 

No comments: