Sunday, January 23, 2011

It's Time to Listen

 I walk for good reason. Two very good reasons, that is. 

Every year, I walk in the Walk Now for Autism Speaks: Los Angeles in support of my nephews, Xavier, age 16 and Alexander, age14. I wish things were different. I wish I could make this disorder go away but based on the current statistics, not only is Autism here to stay, it continues to grow every year and at alarming rates.

"Today, it is estimated that one in every 110 children is diagnosed with autism, making it more common than childhood cancer, juvenile diabetes and pediatric AIDS combined. An estimated 1.5 million individuals in the U.S. and tens of millions worldwide are affected by autism. Government statistics suggest the prevalence rate of autism is increasing 10-17 percent annually. There is not established explanation for this increase."  Autism Speaks website

The best way I know how to explain this frustrating and heartbreaking disorder is that it greatly affects how a child perceives the world and it makes communication and social interaction extremely difficult. Autism impacts every inch of their lives, from being able to learn and grow as a person to developing relationships and making friends. Autism has the potential to impact their lives from childhood to adulthood and beyond.

A few years back, I saw this special on autism where to shed some light into the autistic child's perception, they took someone without autism and put them in a quiet room. First, they explained that an autistic child hears everything that we hear but ten times louder. Then they proceeded to turn on several televisions, a couple of radios - they even had several people talking loudly throughout the room. Lastly, they swiveled the chair so that the person was now spinning. They continued to do this for several minutes until they finally stopped all of the noise and the spinning to explain that this scenario was similar to what an autistic child goes through on a daily bases. Can you imagine? This explanation hit me hard. It still does. 

Despite these descriptions and scenarios that seem overwhelming and difficult to deal with, Alex is happy. He loves to dance and watch movies. Currently, he watches Despicable Me over and over, jumping up to dance along with the main character, smiling the whole time. He sometimes "stems" to keep calm but unlike most autistic children, he is sweet and affectionate.

Xavier is on the opposite spectrum. He has Asperger's Syndrome. He is smart, witty and articulates better than most adults I know but like his little brother, he struggles with social skills. He has difficulty with balance and as a result, he has always gravitated to video games instead of sports. He is great with Alex and he loves to read. 

Regardless of the hurdles Xavier and Alex face every day, they are amazing individuals. They each have their own special way of showing their love and gratitude. I watch, as I always have, as they continue to grow and learn - not as quickly as their peers but still at their own pace. I walk to support them in their day-to-day efforts and struggles, I walk to show them both just how much they are loved, I walk to increase awareness because early diagnosis can make a world of difference and most importantly, I walk to raise money so that one day, a cure can be found. Not for me and not for you but for my nephews, Xavier and Alexander. For them, I'd walk to the ends of the world and back.

There are several ways you can help:
  • Sponsor me by clicking here 
  • Join our team, "Team X to the A", on Saturday, April 23 at the Rose Bowl
  • Donate a silent auction item for our Facebook auction: Gift Baskets, Gift Cards, Jewelry, Autographed Memorabilia, Hand-Made Items, etc. 
If you are interested in walking, donating a silent auction item, or attending our online silent auction event (or all 3!) please email me at missyah1@sbcglobal.net.

Thank you for your support!
(And thank you for listening!)
 Missy 

2 comments:

Julie said...

I will sponsor you! Also, I had no idea the prevalance was growing! What in the world are we doing wrong? What are we eating drinking breathing in this crazy world? So sad!

Missy said...

Thank you SO much, Julie! It has to be the environment and what we are eating and drinking...pretty scary.