Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Just Play

Photo by Duncan

The theme of this post is simple:  Sometimes we just need time to play. I know, I know, it's a crazy idea but sometimes it's important for us to step away from work and the to-do-list and bring on the fun. Watch a movie. Go rollerblading. Bust out some brightly colored crayons and make a point to color outside the lines. Write a letter to a friend you haven't seen in months or schedule lunch with a relative you haven't seen in years. Sing along to your favorite song out loud or dance the night away in the comfort of your own bedroom.

This past weekend, that's exactly what I did and the crazy thing about it is, by allowing some much needed "play time," I was also able to get down to business and cross a few more "To Do's" off my list. On Friday evening, I enjoyed a flight of sweet champagnes, wild mushroom and goat cheese bruschetta and an array of absolutely delectable desserts (obviously, my diet went right out the window, the minute I walked in) at POP Champagne & Dessert Bar in Pasadena, CA. Of course, the most important part was enjoying it with loved ones. Laughing and taking pictures of each and every beautiful platter that was presented to our table. 


Saturday, I threw my beautiful cousin a small impromptu baby shower at Mimi's Cafe in Chino, Ca. I literally turned our initial lunch plans into a baby shower in days and thankfully, it turned out great. (I'm learning that being spontaneous can be fun) We had a great time catching up and I'm really looking forward to meeting our little Duncan in just a few weeks!


In the afternoon, I went to a birthday party where instead of a traditional birthday cake, we noshed on a chocolate dipping smorgasbord of fruit, cookies and marshmallows off of the cutest party plates you've ever seen. (Go Team Jacob) And yes, it was an adult's birthday party. So much fun! 


On Sunday, I spent the day shopping (Definitely my kind of fun) with a friend I hadn't seen in months. We always have the best time at our favorite store - Ross. We both love to find the best deals and we always manage to make every aisle an adventure trying on scarves, shoes and accessories. It makes me giddy just thinking about it. And on Monday, I finally took a couple of bags and boxes to Goodwill - a "To Do" item on my list for over a year. (Yay!) I also made a point to read a few chapters of my current read for good measure before cozy-ing up on the couch to watch the movie, Twilight for the umpteenth time. (It was a very good weekend)   

On a recent shopping trip with my Mom, I caught myself saying, "I'm too old to wear that" and she quickly reminded me that I had just encouraged her only moments earlier to purchase something she thought was too "juvenile." We do that often, don't we? - encourage others while at the same time, putting the very same limitations on ourselves. When you really think about it, our age should never determine what we do or what we wear. We need to stop worrying about what others may think or say. Instead, do what feels right and enjoy every day - your way. And most importantly, remember to make time to play!

Enjoy the day!
Missy

4 comments:

ADSchill said...

Agreed! Play time is a must! Good for you for doing that for yourself. Although I do have differing opinions on a couple of things.
1st - Team Edward

2nd - Some people should NOT wear the same clothing as a 16 year old. I am among those people.

Missy said...

Actually, I'm all about Team Edward too! The party was for my friend, who is Team Jacob. Lol!

And yes, you are right - not all items of clothing are appropriate for us grown-ups - unless you can rock it! (which definitely isn't me either)

In the conversation I was having with my Mom, the item was a pretty headband with a blingy butterfly off to the side. Hopefully, I am successfully "rocking it." Hee-Hee!

Julie said...

Glad you had fun!! I saw some legwarmers at the mall the other day. I think I will let other people wear those...:)

Missy said...

Thanks, Julie. I'd have to agree on your decision to let others wear the leg warmers. I didn't even wear them back in the day, when they were completely acceptable. (brings back some memories!)